Thursday, 19 February 2009

February Birthdays

Good evening everyone!

There are 2 important birthdays for me in February. The first is my mother-in-law's birthday and the second one is my daughter's birthday. They have their birthdays only 4 days apart and are both totally mad about tigers. As usual I have made them a Tiger birthday card.

The first idea I had was to have a slightly differently shaped card for my mother-in-law, the one featured below.

For this card I used a decoupage sheet from The Lilac Garden at http://www.thelilacgarden.co.uk/ , they have some very lovely decoupage and matching background papers. The background papers I have used have been adapted and edited by myself. I hope you like the card.





This card has been made as a square card measuring 17x17 cm. The front of the card has been cut slightly to form a triangle. From the fold of the card there were 2 cm on top and bottom and I cut it from those points to the middle of the loose side of the front of the card.

The decoupaged image was then mounted on the point. Unfortunately the card failed to stand up in this way and I had to think of a solution to this problem. I therefore printed a background onto another page and cut this to the same size and mounted the front of the card onto this.


The background was made by cutting and pasting several of the top layers of the tiger image from the decoupage sheet onto a white background. (see below) I also printed this off on some yellow paper slightly edited with a oval textbox containing the message for the birthday girl.

The other background used for the cards is also below.


Following this the card finally did manage to stand up and here are some further pictures of the card.


This is another view from the front, the one below meant to show the 3D feature of the decoupage image a little better.


On the picture below you can also see part of the insert with the textbox, this one is on a pale yellow background.


Well, my mother-in-law's card was done, I thought. All that was needed now was to continue with the next card due, the one for my daughter. It however didn't quite turn out like that as the idea I next came up with was one I liked even more and that I decided would be better for my mother-in-law. The above card therefore will be made into my daughter's card.


This card needed to card blanks, both with their insides facing towards eachother. The outside one had a window cut out half the size of the decoupaged image towards the open side of the card. The inside had a little window at the same point which was still articulating towards the middle of the front of the card. The decoupaged imaged was then mounted on the articulating bit of card. Below is an image from the front of the card, showing the decoupaged picture which moves in the window.



Below is a picture of the inside of the card.



Another image from the front is below, showing the decoupaged picture articulating within the window.



The last picture of this card has been taken from the top and shows the 2 cards stuck together to form the eventual card.



I hope you all like the card as much as I do. And I certainly hope my mother-in-law will like it as I'm pretty sure she will.
Thanks for looking.

12 comments:

  1. Hi I love this. Well done. Lilac garden is great.

    Sam xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. great card and backing papers,
    sandra xxx
    (trimcraft forum)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute card! Thanks for joining us for the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The above cards are really fantastic - works of art.
    Thanks for trying to help with the instructions for the Swing cards, I am really grateful, I'll let you know how I get on, it all looks a bit complicated to me though. If mine turns out half as good as these you've done I will be happy.
    Luv Cat xx
    (Trimmie)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your cards, fantastic.
    Thanks for instructions for Swing Card - Let you know how it goes (looks a bit complicated though)
    Well done
    Luv Cath

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what a great design, your MIL will love it. Thanks you joining us at Allsorts this week.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great card. Love the folding.
    Thanks for joining us at Allsorts this week.

    Gro.

    ReplyDelete
  8. great card love the white tiger...
    thanks for playing at Allsorts

    Emma xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. that is one amazing card!!!!! you really made a masterpiece, thanks for sharing all the details, fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great card Jo
    Thanks for joining us at Allsorts this week
    Take care
    Debs xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. graet card love the image thanks for joining us this week hugs kirsten...x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you all for visiting my blog and commenting on my cards and other projects. All comments are very welcome and much appreciated. Have a great day everyone!

Love,

Jo.